Low libido can be treated and it’s worth the effort!
What is an aphrodisiac?
An aphrodisiac is a substance (usually food or drink) that increases your sex drive when consumed. The term comes from the Greek word aphrodisiakon, named after Aphrodite, the goddess of love. Aphrodisiacs have long been a part of human culture for one common reason – we all want to have better sex.
Who needs an aphrodisiac?
Couples or individuals who are experiencing low sex drive may benefit from using an aphrodisiac. Low libido is more common than you might think, with an estimated one in three marriages affected in some way by issues caused by low sex drive.
If you’re noticing you don’t seem to have sex as often as you did when you’re younger, and you’re trying to work out what’s changed or what’s wrong with you, try not to stress about it. The demands of modern life can be tough on libido, and many factors can play a role in leaving you feeling like sex is one more demand you just can’t meet.
Media-fuelled expectations and the introduction and promotion of erection drugs like Viagra have complicated the issue by placing pressure on both men and women to maintain an active sex life. So it’s not surprising our bodies sometimes feel they cannot keep up.
Over time, if the problem isn’t dealt with, it can even lead to fears that one partner may be having an affair. Long-term low libido problems can cause tension and distrust in even the strongest relationships.
How do aphrodisiacs work?
According to clinical sexologist Dr Kat van Kirk, author of The Married Sex Solution, “Consuming aphrodisiac foods may increase blood flow to the genitals, release natural bio-chemicals in the body to help you feel more aroused and relaxed, or provide nutrients that improve the health of the sex organs.”
As a result, they can increase your arousal, energy, body temperature, or heart rate, putting you in the mood. Some foods, she notes, can also get you amped up simply because they’re associated with sex.1
Aphrodisiacs can work in two ways: There are those that create sexual desire by working on your mind, and there are those that create desire by affecting parts of your anatomy. For example, something that increases blood flow to your sex organs might simulate the feelings of sexual intercourse and have the effect of creating desire.
Likewise, there are things that can make our bodies produce more of the chemicals associated with sexual desire. Something that lowers inhibitions, for example, might also create (or allow) the desire to have sex.2
Aphrodisiacs can be enjoyed anywhere from half an hour to an hour before making love. They work best when incorporated into one’s daily life for their overall contribution to sexual or general health. As good health is essential to sexual vitality, good nutrition is imperative. When we are in poor health, sexual vitality decreases.
9 popular natural aphrodisiacs
The nitric oxide found in nuts helps to increase the size and relaxation of blood vessels, which in turn helps increase blood flow. It also helps boost energy levels and can increase nerve cell responses. Nuts are believed to help aid and satisfy orgasms, increase size and frequency of erections in males and make women’s vaginal tissues more sensitive and responsive to sexual stimulation.
Avocados contain high levels of folic acid, which helps metabolise protein, B6 and Potassium. This can increase male hormone production and regulate the thyroid gland; two elements that increase libido in both men and women. Testosterone is a hormone produced by the body that is essential for normal growth and development of the sex organs. Avocados can increase testosterone production, which contributes to sexual function, mood and libido.
Along with Avocado, Asparagus is also a great source of Vitamin E, which helps stimulate the production of sex hormones in both men and women and increase sex drive. It also contains the B vitamin known as folate that aids in increasing histamine, which is important for a healthy sex drive in both men and women.
Garlic contains a plant compound called Allicin, which can increase blood flow to the sexual organs. The improvement of blood circulation can help keep erections harder for longer. Garlic has also been shown to help the sex drive of men that are experiencing erection issues.
This seafood is high in Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Zinc and Iron, common vitamins that are typically low in the general population’s diet. Being deficient in Zinc can lead to lowered sexual capacity and drive and also have a negative impact on sperm quality. Oysters also contain the hormone Dopamine, which can increase sexual capacity, drive and satisfaction. 3
6. Chilli peppers
This invigorating spice has an exotic reputation and a bright red color, which could be why it's considered a natural aphrodisiac and a symbol of love. But there's scientific backing, too. Chili peppers stimulate endorphins (the brain's feel-good chemicals), speed up heart rate and make you sweat, which all mimic how you feel when you're aroused.
Honey is made through pollination and is a symbol of procreation. In fact, the word 'honeymoon' got its name from mead, an alcoholic beverage made from honey given to the happy new bride and groom. It also contains boron, which helps regulate estrogen and testosterone levels and provides a natural energy boost.
8. Horny Goat Weed
Epimedium, otherwise known as Horny Goat Weed, has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for centuries to enhance sexual health. It has a reputation as a natural aphrodisiac and has been shown in some studies to have positive effects on hormone production and libido. According to Dr Josh Axe, a certified doctor of natural medicine and clinical nutritionist, evidence suggests that Horny Goat Weed helps increase oestrogen levels in women and improve libido.4
9. Tribulus Terrestris
This flowering plant has long been a part of herbal medicine and holds a reputation for boosting men’s sexual prowess. It contains a substance called protodioscin, which is thought to dilate blood vessels in the penis, resulting in a fuller erection. However, this herb has a lot to offer women too. One study found that Tribulus improved sexual desire in 49 out of 50 females. Another study found that women who took Tribulus experienced heightened sexual desire, arousal, and satisfaction. It’s believed that Tribulus stimulates androgen receptors in the brain to help the body respond positively to hormones.5
6 practical options to treat low libido
It’s important to understand that low libido can be treated and it’s worth doing something about. If you are suffering from a loss of libido, take stock of your situation, talk to your doctor and your partner, and make a checklist of things you can do to start taking control and getting the joy of sex back in your life. Aphrodisiacs can help; here are some other options to consider:
- Make lifestyle changes to lose weight, reduce stress and get more sleep and exercise.
- Have a health examination to check for any underlying physical causes.
- Change your medication to see if libido improves.
- Check hormone levels, particularly your levels of testosterone.
- Strengthen your relationship by making time for your partner and enjoying common interests together.
- Consider an herbal supplement like Herbal Ignite to help increase libido.
How Herbal Ignite for Men and Women helps treat low libido
Herbal Ignite for Men and Women are over-the-counter dietary supplements taken daily with food. They help boost energy levels and relieve fatigue and stress in both men and women. Herbal Ignite for Men also increase men’s health and libido, boosts testosterone (the key sex hormone in men) levels and improves nerve function and genital blood flow. Herbal Ignite for Women supports pre-menstrual tension and menopause, helps restore hormone levels to a healthy balance and improves libido.
The three key herbs in Ignite for Men – Tribulus Terrestris, Horny Goat Weed and Avena Sativa – have been used in traditional medicine for centuries to rejuvenate men’s sexual health. The herb Tribulus Terrestris, in particular, has also been found to naturally boost testosterone levels and is available in capsule form in herbal supplements like Herbal Ignite.
- Tribulus Terrestris lifts testosterone levels and improves sexual activity and muscular strength. It also generates male energy, confidence and stamina and men using Herbal Ignite report an improved sense of wellbeing. While Tribulus Terrestris supports and assists the body's natural production of testosterone it should be clearly understood that it is not a hormone supplement. By promoting the production of the body's own hormones, it works within the body's natural limits to help men achieve their strength and muscular potential. Tribulus Terrestris will not cause the body to indefinitely produce increasing amounts of testosterone – rather, it balances natural hormone levels.
- Horny Goat Weed increases desire and sexual performance. The active ingredients in this herb are PDE-5 inhibitors, which increase blood flow to the penis and help with better erections.
- Avena Sativa relieves stress and increases sexual desire. Many men notice a decline in sex drive and sexual strength because of the effects of stress and long working hours; this herb helps counter the effects of our tough modern lifestyle.
- Damiana is the key fatigue and stress fighter in Herbal Ignite for Women. Known as the ‘ultimate feel-good herb’ for women, it combats fatigue, relaxes the body, reduces stress and anxiety, lifts mood and enhances sexual response. It also helps balance female hormone levels, control hot flushes and is especially renowned for its libido enhancing qualities.
- Dong Quai is known as ‘the women’s herb’ or ‘female ginseng’ because it is recognised in traditional Asian medicine as an excellent all-purpose women’s herb. It is used to calm nerves, relieve anxiety and mood swings, aid in the treatment of various skin conditions, promote youthfulness, reduce stress and is also considered effective in treating cancer. It also helps restore hormonal balance, improve menstrual regularity and relieves PMS and hot flushes.
- Tribulus Terrestris is a general tonic that supports sex drive, ovulation and reproductive health. It also balances hormone levels, boosts vitality and sense of wellbeing.
- Horny Goat Weed has been used in traditional medicine as an aphrodisiac to increase libido, improve sexual response and function and create a feeling of well-being during menopause. Horny Goat Weed has been used since ancient times to promote physical and mental energy. It stimulates libido by enhancing sexual response and orgasm, relieves symptoms associated with PMS and menopause, balances hormones, relieves stress and aids in the treatment of osteoporosis. Horny goat weed contains a flavonoid called Icariin that assists to increase nitric oxide levels relaxing genital muscles in men and women, promoting erections and orgasms. Horny goat weed influences the stress hormone cortisol to help relieve stress.
Herbal Ignite has been used successfully by thousands of men and women in New Zealand and Australia to help beat stress and fatigue, boost libido and sexual satisfaction. It is 100% natural and free of unpleasant side effects. It is made in New Zealand to the highest standards, with thorough testing and guarantees of no adulteration or undeclared ingredients.
Disclaimer. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not substitute for the advice provided by your medical professional. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.
- - - - -