Modern life takes a toll on libido
The pace of modern life is tough on our sex lives, and it’s common for both men and women to feel the need to call on a libido booster to give their sex lives extra energy and spark. Heavy workloads, relationship stress and other health issues like the side effects of anti-depressants or anti-inflammatories can all reduce libido and leave you feeling like you need a boost to keep your relationship harmonious.
Social expectations about maintaining an active sex life have also increased since prescription erection drugs came on the market, so it’s not surprising our bodies sometimes feel like they can’t keep up.
Up to 60 percent of women aged 29 to 59 report periods when they have lost interest in sex and research shows up to 40 percent of men also feel the need for a libido booster at some point.
Who is affected by low libido?
It’s relatively common for both men and women to grapple with low sex drive and look for ways to boost their libido. This can often be due to the demands of daily life, which drain them of the strong sex drive that came naturally when they were younger.
Sexologist Elaine George says she commonly sees men who want to boost their libido, with an estimated 25 to 40 percent of men saying they experience a low sex drive. And a recent study of sexual health and relationships showed 50 percent of women aged 29 to 59 and 60 percent of women aged 30 to 39 felt they needed a boost to their libido too.
6 reasons for wanting to boost libido
Men and women have some common, but also unique, motivators as to why they feel like they need a boost to their libido. This may be caused by a variety of physical and emotional factors, including:
- Health issues like obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, menopause, or using the Pill.
- Side effects of medication for depression, arthritis or prostate treatment.
- Low testosterone or hormonal imbalance.
A man’s sex drive is more physically rooted, and as a result health issues may affect his libido more. A woman’s libido is affected by physical factors too, but she is more likely to need a boost to her libido if her relationship is unsatisfying or her mood is negatively affected by circumstances and environment. Sex therapist Dr. Rosie King says everything that happens in a woman’s day affects her sex drive.
Libido and erectile dysfunction are different
The lack of libido in men is not to be confused with erectile dysfunction (ED). Most men with a lack of libido can achieve erections but have lost the desire to have sex. Impotence, or erectile dysfunction, is wanting to have sex but not being able to get an erection. Complaints about the need to boost libido are reported as the second most common sexual problem for men after premature ejaculation.
5 options to help boost libido
There are a variety of ways to boost libido, including balancing hormones, taking herbal supplements like Herbal Ignite for Men or Women, making lifestyle changes, or using personal lubricants (so-called ‘sex lubes’) to overcome vaginal dryness. Here are some options:
- Testosterone therapy
Many men suffer from low sex drive, loss of energy and diminished enthusiasm for life because of low levels of the male hormone testosterone, according to Harvard specialist Dr. Abe Morgentaler, author of Testosterone For Life.
Although testosterone is known as the ‘sex hormone’ it actually affects the functioning of many bodily systems, muscle and bone strength, blood sugar and red blood cell levels. So, it’s critical for overall health, including weight control. Restoring testosterone to normal levels is a libido booster in itself.
Dr. Morgentaler says testosterone replacement therapy is safe and rapidly effective. Importantly, he has put forward a strong case to debunk the idea widely accepted by doctors for many years that testosterone increases prostate cancer rates. Testosterone therapy is available in several forms including skin patches, time-release implants, oral pastiches (tiny tablets held between cheek and gum) and injections.
The herb Tribulus Terrestris is also believed to lift testosterone levels naturally, by stimulating the body to produce more of the hormone.
Testosterone also works as a libido booster for women. A recent study showed a testosterone patch for women significantly increased female sexual satisfaction.
- Libido-boosting lifestyle changes
Making relatively small lifestyle changes can have a beneficial effect on boosting libido. These include small amounts of weight loss, or participation in moderate exercise. Both of these will do wonders for your sex life if you keep at them. A Harvard study found male athletes aged between 40 and 60 had the same sex drive as men 20 years younger who didn’t exercise.
- Healthy relationship a libido booster
One of the biggest turn-offs of libido is a partner who isn’t receptive, supportive or who is overly critical. For women, especially, having a caring and supportive partner who is appreciative may be the only libido booster she needs. A women’s libido is strongly affected by everything that happens in her daily life and environment.
If effort is put into understanding and appreciating your partner better, it can deliver remarkable results in the bedroom. For men, take the time to get close to your partner without pressuring for sex first. And for women, remember the ‘Five to One Rule’ – five positive comments for every negative one will help maintain a happy partner.
- Libido-boosting personal lubricants and creams
Sometimes a woman’s lack of interest in sex is directly related to hormonal changes that make the act of making love uncomfortable, or even painful. The most common of these for older women is vaginal dryness because of hormonal changes at menopause. Dryness can also be caused by oral contraceptives, or as a side effect of medications like antihistamines, antidepressants and decongestants. Products like lubricant creams, which ease this problem, are potential libido boosters.
There are several ways to solve the problem of vaginal dryness:
- Natural oils. Apply pure natural oils like grapeseed, sweet almond, sunflower or apricot, or Vitamin E oil. (Some people are allergic to Vitamin E so test first).
- Commercial products for boosting libido. Using a personal lubricant can help smooth the way during sex. Choose one that is water-based, as petroleum-based lubricants can harbour bacteria in the vagina and lead to infection, and may also cause damage to latex condoms.
- Bio-identical hormone creams. Your doctor may prescribe an estrogen cream, which is available in various strengths and formulations. These supplement estradiol, progesterone, and estrogen (depending on the formulation) and add moisturiser. These creams help restore hormonal balance, generate natural lubrication and boost libido.
- Sexual response creams. Arginine is an amino acid that helps the body produce nitric oxide – which in turn helps promote blood flow. Creams made from L-arginine increase blood flow to the female genitals, enhancing sexual response and acting as a great libido booster. A recent study on 500 women showed that 70 percent who applied the cream to the clitoris and labia half an hour before sex reported more arousal and stronger orgasms.
- Herbal supplements as libido boosters
Some herbs have been used for many years in traditional medicine as libido boosters and they are still popular today. Natural treatments like Herbal Ignite contain herbs used traditionally to boost libido, including Tribulus Terrestris, Horny Goat Weed, Tongkat Ali, Damiana, Avena Sativa and Muira Puama.
How Herbal Ignite for Men and Women help boost libido
Herbal Ignite for Men and Women are over-the-counter dietary supplements taken daily with food. They help boost energy levels and relieve fatigue and stress in both men and women. Herbal Ignite for Men also increase men’s health and libido, boosts levels of testosterone (the key hormone in men) and improves nerve function and genital blood flow. Herbal Ignite for Women supports pre-menstrual tension and menopause, helps restore hormone levels to a healthy balance and improves libido.
Herbal Ignite for Men
The three key herbs in Ignite for Men – Tribulus Terrestris, Horny Goat Weed and Avena Sativa – have been used in traditional medicine for centuries to rejuvenate men’s sexual health. The herb Tribulus Terrestris, in particular, has also been found to naturally boost testosterone levels and is available in capsule form in herbal supplements like Herbal Ignite.
- Tribulus Terrestris lifts testosterone levels and improves sexual activity and muscular strength. It also generates male energy, confidence and stamina and men using Herbal Ignite report an improved sense of wellbeing. While Tribulus Terrestris supports and assists the body's natural production of testosterone it should be clearly understood that it is not a hormone supplement. By promoting the production of the body's own hormones, it works within the body's natural limits to help men achieve their strength and muscular potential. Tribulus Terrestris will not cause the body to indefinitely produce increasing amounts of testosterone – rather, it balances natural hormone levels.
- Horny Goat Weed increases desire and sexual performance. The active ingredients in this herb are PDE-5 inhibitors, which increase blood flow to the penis and help with better erections.
- Avena Sativa relieves stress and increases sexual desire. Many men notice a decline in sex drive and sexual strength because of the effects of stress and long working hours; this herb helps counter the effects of our tough modern lifestyle.
Herbal Ignite for Women
Herbal Ignite for Women contains four key ingredients:
- Damiana is the key fatigue and stress fighter in Herbal Ignite for Women. Known as the ‘ultimate feel-good herb’ for women, it combats fatigue, relaxes the body, reduces stress and anxiety, lifts mood and enhances sexual response. It also helps balance female hormone levels, control hot flushes and is especially renowned for its libido enhancing qualities.
- Dong Quai is known as ‘the women’s herb’ or ‘female ginseng’ because it is recognised in traditional Asian medicine as an excellent all-purpose women’s herb. It is used to calm nerves, relieve anxiety and mood swings, aid in the treatment of various skin conditions, promote youthfulness, reduce stress and is also considered effective in treating cancer. It also helps restore hormonal balance, improve menstrual regularity and relieves PMS and hot flushes.
- Tribulus Terrestris is a general tonic that supports sex drive, ovulation and reproductive health. It also balances hormone levels, boosts vitality and sense of wellbeing.
- Horny Goat Weed has been used in traditional medicine as an aphrodisiac to increase libido, improve sexual response and function and create a feeling of well-being during menopause. Horny Goat Weed has been used since ancient times to promote physical and mental energy. It stimulates libido by enhancing sexual response and orgasm, relieves symptoms associated with PMS and menopause, balances hormones, relieves stress and aids in the treatment of osteoporosis. Horny goat weed contains a flavonoid called Icariin that assists to increase nitric oxide levels relaxing genital muscles in men and women, promoting erections and orgasms. Horny goat weed influences the stress hormone cortisol to help relieve stress.
Herbal Ignite has been used successfully by thousands of men and women in New Zealand and Australia to help beat stress and fatigue, boost libido and sexual satisfaction. It is 100% natural and free of unpleasant side effects. It is made in New Zealand to the highest standards, with thorough testing and guarantees of no adulteration or undeclared ingredients.
Get Herbal Ignite for Women Special: Buy 2 bottles and get 1 FREE!
Disclaimer. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not substitute for the advice provided by your medical professional. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.