Saw Palmetto – help for prostate health
What is Saw Palmetto?
Saw Palmetto is a small fan palm that grows wild in the southeastern United States. Native Americans from the Seminole tribe in Florida traditionally ate its berries for food and to treat urinary and reproductive problems associated with an enlarged prostate gland. They also used it to treat a cough, indigestion, sleeping issues and infertility problems.
Widely used under the name ‘Serenoa’ until World War II, Saw Palmetto was neglected until its rediscovery in the 1990s. It is now commonly used in Europe and the U.S as a treatment for an enlarged prostate. Studies have shown Saw Palmetto might help with the symptoms associated with the enlargement of the prostate gland – called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) – in several ways.
6 benefits of Saw Palmetto
- Saw Palmetto is best known for decreasing the symptoms of an enlarged prostate (BPH).
- It is used for treating certain types of prostate infections and also sometimes to treat prostate cancer, in combination with other herbs and/or drugs
- It is used to improve urinary flow and enhance sexual drive.
- It is also used to counteract low sperm count and hair loss.
- It supports the male glandular system in general, strengthening immunity and reducing inflammation.
- It is a good hormone-balancing herb for men over 40.
How does Saw Palmetto help prostate health?
The walnut-sized prostate gland is part of the male reproductive system, located inside the body between the bladder and urethra. A prostate typically gets bigger with age; however, a prostate gland that grows too large can place pressure on the bladder or urethra running through the prostate gland, which can cause urinary problems.
Saw Palmetto works by stopping the breakdown of testosterone into its byproduct, dihydrotestosterone (DHT). This helps the body hold more testosterone and creates less DHT, which can slow or stop the enlargement of the prostate gland (BPH). BPH results in a swelling of the prostate gland that obstructs the urethra.
By slowing prostate growth, Saw Palmetto can help alleviate some of the symptoms of BPH, including:
- Frequent urination and increased urination at night.
- Trouble starting a urine stream, straining while urinating, or a weak urine stream.
- The inability to completely empty the bladder.
- Potentially serious kidney problems, if left undiagnosed and untreated.
Men who have taken Saw Palmetto for treating BPH have reported a reduction in painful urination, as well as minimised sensations of a full bladder. Some researchers believe this may be accomplished due to the anti-inflammatory ability of the plant to restrain hormones, including testosterone. Testosterone is thought to contribute to the multiplication of prostate cells.
Saw Palmetto and libido
Low testosterone levels are associated with low libido in both men and women. Saw Palmetto can boost libido by increasing the body’s levels of testosterone. In men, sperm production is guided by testosterone. Too little testosterone can result in a low sperm count, and Saw Palmetto can help increase male fertility by increasing the body’s testosterone level.
Studies on Saw Palmetto and urinary health
Since the 1960s, extensive clinical studies of Saw Palmetto have been done in Europe. A review of 24 European trials appeared in the November 1998 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. The trials involved nearly 3,000 men, some taking Saw Palmetto, others taking Proscar and a third group taking a placebo.
The men taking Saw Palmetto had a 28 percent improvement in urinary tract symptoms, a 24 percent improvement in peak urine flow and 43 percent improvement in overall urine flow. The results were nearly comparable to the group taking Proscar and superior to the men taking a placebo.
In a controlled clinical trial of patients with enlarged prostate glands, 50 patients who received Saw Palmetto were compared with 44 patients receiving a placebo. Patients treated with Saw Palmetto urinated less frequently, produced a better flow rate and amount of urine and had less pain and discomfort in urinating than control subjects.
How safe is Saw Palmetto?
While Saw Palmetto is widely used, it does occasionally cause side effects in some people. These side effects can include dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhoea. Pregnant and breastfeeding women are advised to avoid using Saw Palmetto, as it can affect hormonal activity in the body.
How can I get more Saw Palmetto?
Saw Palmetto is a key ingredient in Prostate PowerFlow, which has been used successfully by thousands of men in New Zealand and Australia to support prostate health.
How Prostate PowerFlow helps support urinary health
When taken daily, Prostate PowerFlow’s formulation works to support prostate health. It contains the following four key active ingredients:
- Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto is commonly used in Europe and the U.S as a treatment for an enlarged prostate. Some studies have shown Saw Palmetto might help with BPH symptoms in several ways. These include:
- You may need to get up less often at night to urinate.
- It can improve your flow when you go.
- It can ease painful urination.
- Lycopene. Tomato-derived lycopene supports a healthy prostate and has been shown to reduce the risk of certain cancers. It can help stop the enlargement of the prostate and prevent this condition from progressing to prostate cancer.
- Selenium. Selenium provides antioxidant protection. Prostate PowerFlow provides up to 50 percent of the Selenium RDA to support men’s prostate health in New Zealand (RDA varies in different countries).
- Zinc is necessary for the manufacture of testosterone, which is the key male hormone for potency and fertility and supports a healthy prostate gland.
Good prostate health is a key for men coping with the inevitable hormonal changes that accompany aging. Prostate PowerFlow with Saw Palmetto, Zinc, Lycopene and Selenium may help alleviate the natural side effects of growing older.
To support your prostate health, it is suggested that you take two capsules of PowerFlow daily; one in the morning and one in the evening with food.
Prostate PowerFlow is natural and free of unpleasant side effects. It is made in New Zealand to the highest standards, with thorough testing and guarantees of no adulteration or undeclared ingredients.
Get Prostate PowerFlow Special: Buy two bottles & get one more bottle FREE
Disclaimer. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not substitute for the advice provided by your medical professional. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.