How Men Get Erections
Getting an erection is one of those things you never really think about—until they stop working like they used to. And then, along with many other men middle-aged and older, you start to appreciate getting an erection is far from simple.
And if the physical aspects of how to get an erection weren’t complex enough, for good sex you also need a healthy sex drive and ideally a healthy relationship too. Both of these factors in turn require good emotional health, a sense of confidence and control in everyday life.
The very best sex occurs when this triangle of physical, emotional and relational health is strong. So in many ways, the question of how to get an erection is a question of how to strengthen or improve these three vital sexual health elements.
How to Get an Erection - Penile Anatomy
The penis contains two parallel cylinders of erectile tissue, known as the corpus cavernosa, and a smaller cylinder in the middle called the corpus spongiosum, which surrounds the urethra and forms the glans. The cavernosa are basically a mesh of interconnected spaces and vascular cells. Erection occurs when neural signals cause penile arteries to dilate and fill the corpus cavernosa with blood, and erections end when signals instead make arteries constrict and veins dilate, causing the blood to flow back out again. This system’s functioning is key to how men get erections.
Erectile function is far from simple. There are at least two distinct mechanisms behind how men get erections.
1. Psychogenic Erections. Psychogenic erections are initiated by the central nervous system in response to sensory or imaginary stimuli. Or in other words, things your brain perceives that get you sexually excited.
2. Reflexogenic Erections. These result from direct stimulation of sensory receptors on the penis. No further explanation required there!
How to Get an Erection – Physical Factors
Physiologically-speaking, an erection is a very complex cascade of events involving several neurotransmitters, nerve function, and critical bloodflow and blood vessel response to nerve signals.
Any breakdown in this chain of events can disrupt the process of how you get an erection and result in erectile dysfunction.
Physical ED causes commonly fall into three categories:
1. Hormonal changes affecting brain chemistry.
2. Nerve damage affecting neurotransmitter response.
3. Blood vessel damage which prevents rapid bloodflow needed for strong erections.
There’s a strong link between anything that affects the heart and erections, with inadequate bloodflow responsible for over half of all physically caused erectile dysfunction.
Your brain also plays an important role in how you get an erection. Regulating your nervous system, it activates rapid penile bloodflow, the process facilitated via key neurotransmitters such as epinephrine, norepinephrine, acetylcholine, prostaglandins and the always crucial nitric oxide.
Even now, the exact mechanisms around how men get erections are unknown. New research indicates penile tissue may behave similarly to an earthworm! Science is still working out all the details however.
Between 75-90% of all problems with getting erections are the result of poor bloodflow or nerve function. As such, the most common medical conditions linked to erectile dysfunction are those that disrupt either bloodflow to erectile tissues or neural activity. Diabetes in particular is a common culprit.
Basically, to get an erection you need all your physical systems working well!
How to Get an Erection - Libido
You also need good sex drive or libido – if your sex drive is gone you can’t get an erection, and even erection drugs like Viagra and Cialis won’t work without that spark. Low sex drive can be caused by low testosterone levels or severe emotional and relational stress.
In many cases, psychological factors such as depression, fear, anxiety and stress may be also be contributing factors.
Whatever the reason, don’t feel like you’re the only one and there’s nothing that can be done. Sometimes taking a little relaxation and recreation time with your partner may be all you need to get things back on track. It may also be worth consulting with a counsellor or psychologist.
There’s several great Aussie sexual health specialist with years of experience in this area. You can find a good list of recommended Australian practitioners here.
How to Get an Erection - Relationship
You can be in good physical shape and have a sex drive, but good sex is still MIA. That’s usually where relationship factors are critical. Sex isn’t just two bodies colliding, emotional connection is also important. For most women in fact relational intimacy is the most important factor of all.
Whether you’ve had too many unenthusiastic sex If you’ve both become distanced just from the pressure of everyday life you may find neither of you feel much interest in sex. Or maybe you’ve had an unenthusiastic response so often you’ve lost interest.
Balance between work and life is important. As Australian writer Nigel Marsh, Author of Fat, Forty and Fired puts it:
‘There are thousands and thousands of people out there living lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don’t need to impress people they don’t like.’
But don’t hand in your notice and pack for the beach just yet! Being financially insolvent and/or homeless certainly brings its own special stresses too! The key to a good work/life balance is the term balance.
Take some time out to do things together. They don’t have to always be romantic candle-lit dinners for two, things like a picnic in the park, day at the beach or lunch at a café are great ways to reconnect.
Have a chat together and each make a top ten list of weekend activities you’d like to do together.
And again, if you feel you may need the support of a counsellor or psychologist, there’s several great local Aussie specialists who can help out.
How to Get an Erection - Basic Tips
In summary to all the above, here are some good basic tips on how to get good erections.
1. Good Diet, Good Exercise. Increase your intake of fresh fruits and veges, decrease junk or processed food. Get regular exercise. You should start to notice the difference soon enough!
2. Use It or Lose It. Your penis needs exercise. As well as the obvious methods, Kegel exercises are a perfect penile exercise to do in your spare time. Although speaking of penile exercises done in your spare time…
3. Don’t Masturbate Too Much. Excessive masturbation can dowse your sexual appetite, and continual erections and ejaculations will lengthen refractory times between erections, resulting in weaker erections.
4. Manage Your Meds. Many prescription drugs can impact on both sex drive and erectile function. Take a good look at your medicine cabinet, and if you think anything in there may be causing you problems, have a chat with your GP about possible alternatives, see what your options are.
5. Take a New Position on Things. Both the missionary position and ‘doggy style’ are better for penile bloodflow.
6. Avoid Smoking, Excess Alcohol. Both nicotine addiction and drinking in excess can have a negative impact on erectile function, as well as many other illicit drugs.
7. Don’t Wear Tight Underpants. Throw those budgie-smugglers out. This is especially true for any underwear worn while sleeping. Tight underpants restrict bloodflow to penile tissues, so always err on the side of light and airy.
8. Work on Your Relationship. You’ll be astonished at what a difference a few extra hours spent together per week can make.
9. Stress Less. Wherever possible, try to worry less and enjoy life. Calm your nerves. Again, if necessary try to schedule in some more regular relaxation and recreation time, or consider seeing a good counsellor or health psychologist.
10. Try a Good Herbal Remedy. Many herbs have been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years to improve libido and erectile function, such as horny goat weed and tribulus terrestris.
How to Get an Erection – Herbal Ignite
Finding things just aren’t the same in the bedroom, and wondering how to get erections like you used to again? Why not try all-natural sexual health booster Herbal Ignite.
Join the thousands of delighted men and women who’ve rediscovered an active, healthy love life. The answer to how to get good erections was never easier. Discover the ignite difference for yourself today!