‘Female ginseng’ helps treat a wide range of gynaecological problems
What is Dong Quai?
Dong Quai is an aromatic herb that grows in China, Korea, and Japan and is used by herbalists as a treatment for a variety of gynaecological complaints, ranging from regulating the menstrual cycle to treating menopausal problems. Nicknamed ‘female ginseng’ due to its benefits for women, Dong Quai is also effective for men’s fertility.
Dong Quai is considered the ‘queen of herbs’ by the Chinese and is one of the country’s most popular herbs for women. Chinese physicians use Dong Quai to enrich the blood, promote circulation, regulate menstruation, calm nerves and soothe the intestines.
It is widely used for a range of common women’s conditions such as painful periods, cramps, menopausal symptoms, infertility, osteoporosis and anaemia. Tens of thousands of women have reported that taking the herb for four to six weeks helps stop hot flushes related to menopause. As is typical with Chinese medicine, it is usually not used alone and is most effective when combined with other herbs like Damiana and Horny Goat Weed.
9 benefits of Dong Quai
- Maintains hormonal balance. Dong Quai is regarded as the premier ‘gynaecological regulator’. It can reduce oestrogen levels if they are too high and can increase them if they are too low.
- Excellent blood tonic. Master herbalist Ron Teeguarden attributes the blood toning and nourishing effects of Dong Quai to its vitamin and mineral content. Dong Quai contains vitamin B12, folic acid, folinic acid, nicotinic acid, and biotin. It is helpful following injury or surgery to replenish red blood cells and increase blood volume. It's included in many Chinese herbal blood-building formulas.
- Treats iron deficiency and anaemia. The cobalt in Dong Quai is thought to increase the haemoglobin content of blood. Haemoglobin is the protein in blood that contains iron and carries oxygen to cells and carbon dioxide from them.
- Boosts male fertility. Ferulic acid, an antioxidant found in Dong Quai, has been shown to improve sperm quality.
- Helps during and after menstruation. The antispasmodic properties of ligustilide, a component of the Dong Quai, have a soothing effect and help relieve menstrual cramps and other symptoms of PMS. It dilates the blood vessels to increase flow during monthly cleansing and helps replenish blood after a period has ended. Women who stop taking birth control pills may also find Dong Quai useful to encourage a regular cycle.
- Lifts mood.Dong Quai is effective at reducing anxiety and could be useful to help you combat stress and reduce the severity of mood swings. It has a calming effect on the nervous system and promotes relaxation.
- Enhances female fertility. Only a generation ago infertility was rare, but now it takes the average woman up to 18 months to conceive. Women often seek the help of expensive fertility specialists and undergo painful procedures when an antifungal diet and an herb like Dong Quai may be all that are needed.
- Maintains youth and beauty. Chinese women are known for their age-defying youthfulness and Dong Quai may contribute to this. It can preserve natural beauty by encouraging health from the inside out. Ron Teeguarden notes that Dong Quai increases circulation, improves your complexion and aids detoxification to help clear blemishes.
- Improves skin care. Dong Quai's effect on the blood and circulation also prompotes healing for common skin conditions like eczema and rosacea, neurodermatitis, pruritis, hives and vitiligo.
Studies on how Dong Quai benefits women’s health
According to medical herbalist Richard Whelan, since 1920 various Oriental scientists and doctors have conducted research on the effects of Dong Quai on the uterus. It has been found to cause contractions when first administered, but then brings about a strong relaxation of the uterus. It has been shown to help in cases of painful menstruation by causing contractions to become more rhythmic and orderly.
A combination of Dong Quai, Corydalis and Paeony showed a 93 percent success rate for treating dysmenorrhea (painful periods) in an uncontrolled clinical trial. And infertility resulting from tubal occlusion was treated for up to nine months with uterine irrigation using Dong Quai extract in an uncontrolled trial. Nearly 80 percent of patients regained tubal openness and 53 percent became pregnant.
Is Dong Quai safe to use?
Dong Quai is accepted as a safe food additive in the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and throughout Asia. Side effects are rare and are generally limited to digestive upsets or allergic reactions like rashes.
While Dong Quai is considered safe for most people, there are some specific groups who should not use this herbal treatment:
- Women with breast cancer.
- During pregnancy, or while breastfeeding.
- Women with endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or cancers of the breast, ovaries or uterus,
- Men with prostate cancer.
- The use of Dong Quai should be stopped before major surgery or major dental procedures.
- If worry or discomfort occurs, discontinue use and consult your healthcare provider.
How can I get more Dong Quai?
Dong Quai is a key ingredient in Herbal Ignite for Women, a natural supplement that assists women’s libido and helps treat premenstrual and menopausal symptoms. Dong Quai, together with Tribulus Terrestris, Horny Goat Weed and Damiana, is recognised for its benefits to women’s sexual and reproductive health and all four herbs have been used for centuries in traditional medicine.
How Herbal Ignite for Women helps support women’s health
Herbal Ignite for Women is an over-the-counter dietary supplement taken daily with food to support pre-menstrual tension and menopause and to restore hormone levels to a healthy balance. It also helps reduce stress levels and increase libido.
Herbal Ignite for Women contains four key ingredients:
- Damiana is the key fatigue and stress fighter in Herbal Ignite for Women. Known as the ‘ultimate feel-good herb’ for women, it combats fatigue, relaxes the body, reduces stress and anxiety, lifts mood and enhances sexual response. It also helps balance female hormone levels, control hot flushes and is especially renowned for its libido enhancing qualities.
- Dong Quai is known as ‘the women’s herb’ or ‘female ginseng’ because it is recognised in traditional Asian medicine as an excellent all-purpose women’s herb. It is used to calm nerves, relieve anxiety and mood swings, aid in the treatment of various skin conditions, promote youthfulness, reduce stress and is also considered effective in treating cancer. It also helps restore hormonal balance, improve menstrual regularity and relieves PMS and hot flushes.
- Tribulus Terrestris is a general tonic that supports sex drive, ovulation and reproductive health. It also balances hormone levels, boosts vitality and sense of wellbeing.
- Horny Goat Weed has been used in traditional medicine as an aphrodisiac to increase libido, improve sexual response and function and create a feeling of wellbeing during menopause. It has been used since ancient times to promote physical and mental energy. It stimulates libido by enhancing sexual response and orgasm, relieves symptoms associated with PMS and menopause, balances hormones, relieves stress and aids in the treatment of osteoporosis.
Horny Goat Weed contains a flavonoid called Icariin that assists to increase nitric oxide levels relaxing genital muscles in men and women, promoting erections and orgasms. It also influences the stress hormone cortisol to help relieve stress.
Herbal Ignite has been used successfully by thousands of men and women in New Zealand and Australia to help beat stress and fatigue, boost libido and sexual satisfaction. It is 100% natural and free of unpleasant side effects. It is made in New Zealand to the highest standards, with thorough testing and guarantees of no adulteration or undeclared ingredients.
Get Herbal Ignite for Women Special: Buy 2 bottles and get 1 FREE!
Disclaimer. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not substitute for the advice provided by your medical professional. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.