Get a Handle on your Hormonal Imbalance
Recognising and dealing with hormone fluctuations
Hormones are chemical ‘messengers’ in the human body, created in the endocrine glands. They control most bodily functions, including basic needs like hunger through to complex human functions like reproduction. They even direct our emotions and moods. Many hormones, especially those affecting growth and behaviour, have a significant impact on both men and women.
What does it mean to have a hormonal imbalance?
Hormone levels in our body change daily and have a significant effect on women’s health in particular. The female sex hormones, estrogen and progesterone, are most well known because of their influence on a woman’s reproductive health; controlling menstruation, pregnancy, menopause and other cycles. But the body also makes and uses many other hormones that affect key aspects of health, including energy levels, weight and mood.
A healthy hormonal balance keeps a woman’s skin healthy, weight stable, mood upbeat and energy levels high. Hormonal balance is vital to a healthy mind and body, but it can be disrupted, for example, by the hormone fluctuations that occur in puberty, menopause and perimenopause. For women, the most pronounced changes arrive during their 40s and 50s, but they can be seen as early as the mid-30s.
Who does a hormonal imbalance affect?
Many more women are experiencing hormonal imbalance symptoms earlier, which has a lot to do with not only lifestyle and diet but also the pollution, toxins and xenoestrogens (synthetic chemicals that act as estrogen in our bodies) that they’re exposed to every day.
10 common signs and symptoms of a hormonal imbalance
There is a wide range of signs and symptoms associated with hormonal imbalance. In some women they are very mild while in others they can be more severe. They may last for only a few months or may continue for several years. Here are some common symptoms of a hormonal imbalance:
- Persistent weight gain and belly fat. Changes to your weight or body shape are caused by changing hormonal levels. This can happen even if you’ve never had a weight problem before.
- Loss of muscle mass. A lack of hormones necessary for building muscle mass may make it hard to keep your muscles firm.
- Low libido. An imbalance in your hormone levels can affect sexual desire. Estrogen, in particular, is associated with higher sex drive.
- Fatigue. An imbalance of the thyroid hormone, thyroxin, can cause feelings of constant fatigue.
- Stress, anxiety and mood swings. Fluctuations in estrogen, testosterone can affect mood and emotions.
- Insomnia and poor sleep. WebMD says a sharp rise in the hormone progesterone before your period can make falling asleep more difficult.
- Persistent acne. Doctors from the Mayo Clinic say that hormonal changes can trigger acne and make it worse.
- Hot flushes. Hot flushes are a common sign of hormonal imbalance, particularly during menopause.
- Digestion problems. An estrogen imbalance and some steroid hormones can affect the levels of healthy bacteria in the gut.
- Cravings. A number of hormones control appetite and hunger. An imbalance in these can cause food cravings.
What causes a hormonal imbalance?
Hormones work together to make the human body thrive. However, hormonal ups and downs in women are common and are affected by cycles such as pre-menstrual syndrome, menopause and pregnancy. Lifestyle factors, such as being overweight, not getting enough exercise, high levels of stress and a lack of sleep can also cause your hormones to become imbalanced. Medical causes of a hormonal imbalance can include an underactive thyroid and diabetes. Genetics can also play a role.
What is the treatment for a hormonal imbalance?
If imbalanced hormone levels are causing unpleasant symptoms, a doctor may recommend treatments such as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapies, which can be effective. HRT and other types of medication can also be used to prevent health problems, for example, if a woman has a significantly increased risk of developing osteoporosis.
How can herbal supplements help with hormonal imbalance?
If you are not a candidate for HRT, or simply prefer a natural alternative, there are other options available in the form of herbal supplements. These can help re-balance your system and overcome estrogen dominance, which can have a negative impact on both your weight and sex drive.
Herbs generally take a little longer than Hormone Replacement Therapies to start working, but once they have built up in your system, the results can be very pleasing. Plant-based Phytohormones are only 2 to 4 percent as potent as the hormones produced by your body, or bio-identical hormones, so it takes time to build up their levels.
In her book In The Mood Again, Use The Power of Healthy Hormones to Reboot your Sex Life At Any Age, Dr. Genie James recommends waiting four to six weeks for levels to increase, but in some cases, you might “need to be patient for four months.” It is good to remember this is a “gradual and gentle approach for rejuvenating your sexuality for life, not for a sexual sprint,” she says.
3 ways to help balance hormones at home
According to website Livestrong, many women look first to natural ways to help restore hormone balance. These include:
- Nutrition. Proper nutrition is essential to maintain a healthy endocrine system, which regulates hormones in the body. Try to eat a diet rich in omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. These are found in fish oils, nuts, seeds and vegetable oils. Also, consume a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables to provide a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals.
- Exercise. It is well known that exercise helps regulate hormone levels as it strengthens the endocrine system, which is responsible for the regulation of all hormones. In addition to regulating hormone levels, exercise helps strengthen the immune system, combat stress, increase energy and improve overall quality of life. It is important to get 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise each day. This may include jogging, biking, swimming or even a brisk walk.
- Supplements. There are a variety of natural supplements and herbal remedies that help balance hormone levels. These include DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone), Black Cohosh and Don Quai. However, while these and other similar natural supplements may help balance hormones, it is sometimes better to consider an option that has a broader spectrum of efficacy, such as Herbal Ignite for Women.
How does Herbal Ignite for Women help treat hormonal imbalance?
As an alternative to medications and hormone replacement therapies – which can have negative side effects –women are Increasingly looking to herbal health products like Herbal Ignite for Women. Clinical trials, as well as many years of herbal practice, have shown the herbs in Ignite for Women may support women’s reproductive health effectively. They can have a number of positive health outcomes, including:
- Helping to balance hormones.
- Reducing menopausal discomfort.
- Improving libido and sex drive.
- Enhancing sexual arousal and pleasure.
- Alleviating the side effects of the contraceptive pill.
- Improving mood and energy levels.
Herbal Ignite’s special formula has helped thousands of women with libido support and an improved sense of wellbeing, with minimal unwanted side effects. However, it’s important to note that herbal preparations do not work instantly, or even overnight. Like many herbal remedies, it’s ideal to continue with Ignite for Women for three months. This is to ensure the best results, even though most people notice benefits within the first couple of weeks.
How does Herbal Ignite For Her work?
The four key herbs in Ignite for Women – Tribulus Terrestris, Dong Quai, Damiana and Horny Goat Weed – have been used in traditional medicine for centuries to rejuvenate women’s hormonal balance. In the last 30 years, this traditional use has been supported by some scientific studies, but there is still a lot we don’t understand about how exactly the active ingredients in these herbs work.
Tribulus Terrestris, in particular, has long been valued as an aphrodisiac, as a treatment for urinary tract problems, and as a restorer of hormone balance. It is a non-hormonal dietary supplement because it does not contain any of the three major hormonal compounds, estrogen, progesterone or testosterone. However, it does have a Phytohormone action and improves the hormone status without having a direct hormonal influence. This hormone-balancing characteristic of Tribulus makes it especially valuable.
Dong Quai is known as ‘the women’s herb’ or ‘female ginseng’ because it is recognised in traditional Asian medicine as an excellent all-purpose women’s herb. This aromatic herb grows in China, Korea, and Japan and is used by herbalists as a treatment for a variety of gynaecological complaints, ranging from regulating the menstrual cycle to treating menopausal problems. It helps with the following:
• Restoring hormonal balance.
• Helping with menstrual regularity.
• Relieving PMS.
• Helping resume normal menstruation after using birth control pills.
Damiana is known as the ‘ultimate feel good herb’ for women, because it helps balance female hormone levels, control hot flushes and is renowned for its libido enhancing qualities. It also relaxes the body, reduces stress and anxiety, lifts mood and enhances sexual response.
Horny Goat Weed has been used in traditional medicine as an aphrodisiac to increase libido, improve sexual response and function and create a feeling of wellbeing during menopause.
When the hormonal system is nourished back to balanced levels, the negative hormonal imbalance symptoms disappear. For those who have noticed a decline in libido, the balancing of hormones also heralds a restoration of sexual desire and drive.
Herbal Ignite for Women is an over-the-counter dietary supplement taken daily with food. It has been used successfully by women in New Zealand and Australia to boost libido and sexual satisfaction. It also balances hormones, relieves stress and fatigue and helps treat PMS and menopausal symptoms.
Herbal Ignite is 100% natural and free of unpleasant side effects. It is made in New Zealand to the highest standards, with thorough testing and guarantees of no adulteration or undeclared ingredients.
Get Herbal Ignite for Women Special: Buy three bottles & save 27%
Disclaimer. This information is provided for general informational purposes only and does not substitute for the advice provided by your medical professional. Always seek specific medical advice for treatment appropriate to you. Individual results may vary and are not guaranteed.